As soon as you decide to have Gastric sleeve surgery, you decide to change your eating habits. After surgery, you will diet, learn to eat healthy and lose weight. The purpose of the pre op diet for gastric sleeve is as follows:
- It prepares your body for surgery. Thanks to this 2-week diet, your side diseases such as hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes are controlled. Therefore, the risk of complications that may occur during surgery is minimized.
- It helps reduce body fat. Fatty liver is found to certain degrees in every obesity patient. The greater the lubrication, that is, the more enlarged and Fatty the liver, the more difficult it is to reach the stomach during surgery. In addition, all risks will increase, from liver injuries and bleeding. For this reason, even the slightest reduction in intra-abdominal lubrication, especially the liver, is extremely important for us.
- Research has shown that a 2-week diet to be properly administered reduces liver fat and reduces the liver as effectively as a 6-month diet.
- Reduces risks. A significant reduction in risks is observed if weight loss is achieved, albeit in a very small amount, before surgery.
- Facilitate the healing process. In a nutritionally complete, healthy body, wound healing occurs faster and without problems.
- It allows you to more easily adapt to your diet after surgery. After the operation, a radical change awaits you. The body and brain react to big changes made in an instant. This diet makes you physically and psychologically more ready for post-surgery.
This program, called Opt fast, is aimed entirely at preparing for surgery. Patients who will undergo surgery for obesity are recommended to undergo a nutritionist check-up 2 weeks before surgery, if possible.
This may not be considered mandatory for patients with mild to moderate obesity. If it is done, it becomes easier to adapt to the conditions after surgery.
In patients with advanced obesity, it can make the operation somewhat easier by ensuring that the liver, which is much enlarged, shrinks slightly in a short time. This low-calorie special diet program, which will be applied before surgery, is organized to include all the necessary proteins and minerals.
A special nutrition program is organized by taking into account the patient’s lifestyle, eating habits, weight and side disease status in the interviews with the nutritionist before the operation.
The applied program prepares the patient for surgery, but also has positive effects on motivating him to this process. A diet program that you will apply before obesity surgery or metabolic surgery will reduce the risks of surgery.
It will allow you to spend the postoperative period more comfortably. The duration and shape of the diet varies according to your body mass index, The Shape of the operation that will take place, the condition of the disease, the recommendation of your doctor and dietitian, and there are individual differences.
Especially in patients in the high-risk group who are super-obese, weight loss with a preoperative diet allows you to minimize complications that may occur.
Table of Contents
What is the pre op diet for gastric sleeve?
At least 2 weeks before obesity surgery, you should start a protein-weighted, low-fat and low-calorie liquid-weighted diet with the support of a dietitian and prepare for the operation. As soon as you decide to have obesity surgery, you decide to change your eating habits.
After surgery, you will diet, learn to eat healthy and lose weight. It is also common to eat more than usual with the thought that the patient cannot eat after surgery. But this diet is different from normal diets, both as a practice and as a goal.
This diet is extremely important to prepare the patient for both surgery and the lifestyle change he or she will experience after surgery.
How long is the pre-op diet for gastric sleeve?
Before gastric sleeve surgery, patients are prescribed a diet that they must adhere to for at least the last 10 days. The purpose of this diet is to reduce liver fat and therefore its size due to the fact that the first pounds given are from the liver.
At least 2 weeks before gastric sleeve surgery, preparation for surgery should be made by starting a protein-heavy, low-fat and low-calorie liquid-weight diet with the support of a dietitian. As soon as you decide to have surgery, you decide to change your eating habits.
After the operation, you will go on a diet, learn to eat healthy and lose weight. This diet prepares the body for surgery.
Thanks to this 2-week diet, your side diseases such as hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes are controlled. Therefore, the risk of complications that may occur during surgery is minimized.
How Much Weight Can You Lose on The Pre-Op Gastric Sleeve Diet?
Your starting weight, diet compliance, and exercise routines will all have an impact on how much weight you can lose while on a pre-op gastric sleeve diet. In general, people can anticipate losing between 50 and 80 percent of their extra weight within the first 12 to 18 months following gastric sleeve surgery. For a person who is 100–200 pounds overweight, this translates to a weight loss of roughly 50–100 pounds. A balanced diet and regular exercise are also important components of a healthy lifestyle that can aid in weight loss.