Gastric sleeve has been developed as a solution to the problem of obesity and excess weight, which is showing an increasing trend today, making it a threat to human health. People who fail to lose weight by trying various ways eventually resort to a way to control this work with a surgical intervention.
Gastric sleeve surgery is an effective surgical intervention method that occurs at this stage. As with every bariatric surgery, there are Advantages & Disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve. Let’s start with the Gastric Sleeve advantages first:
Table of Contents
Advantages of Gastric Sleeve
Advantages of Gastric Sleeve, one of the most common obesity surgeries:
- Nothing foreign is inserted into the body.
- With its reduced stomach capacity, it creates a greater sense of satiation with less food.
- Since the hormone Ghrelin is taken, the feeling of hunger is minimized.
- Since closed surgery, fewer wounds occur, and healing occurs quickly.
- In a year, you will lose the weight you want and achieve your dreams.
- It is possible to apply laparoscopic, that is, closed, and doing so accelerates the patient’s wound healing, and the patient suffers less pain. So he’ll be in the hospital for less time.
- The capacity of the stomach is reduced by this operation, which leads to the consumption of many nutrients in a smaller amount.
- Because the stomach valve is protected, dumping syndrome is prevented. Because the foods taken leave the stomach late, the feeling of satiety in the stomach lasts a long time.
- During surgery, the formation of ulcers is reduced to a minimum level.
- With tube stomach surgery, your portion will decrease or even your desire to eat will decrease.
- The risk of bowel obstruction, anemia, osteoporosis, protein vitamin deficiency, marginal ulcers are eliminated.
- In two-stage operations, patients with a high body mass index, i.e. 55kg/m2, get very effective results in first-stage operations.
- It is a good choice for people at risk of intestinal by-pass, people with anemia, and people with crohn’s disease
- Because closed surgery is performed in patients who are overweight, they experience fewer wounds, fewer lung problems after surgery, and undergo a faster healing process.
- You can eat any food you want so that you are well-balanced.
- The naturalness of the gastrointestinal tract, that is, the digestive system, is maintained.
- Your appetite decreases because the production of hormones that give you an appetite sensation decreases.
Disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve
Of course there are some Disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve. Here are the disadvantages you should know:
- It is not possible to return the stomach to its natural state again.
- The biggest disadvantage is the lack of long-term results such as gastric bypass surgery.
- If the patient cannot control his or her food and does not pay attention to what he or she eats, he or she can regain 35-40 percent of his or her weight within 3 to 5 years.
- This is important. The patient must pay maximum attention to his nutrition.
- In general, gastric sleeve surgery is a medium-risk operation in all operations.
- A large majority of patients do not experience any additional problems.
- The incidence of a significant complication is around 2 percent.
How does a gastric sleeve help you lose weight?
With gastric sleeve surgery, you can lose about 75% of your excess weight and above. For example, a person who is 160 cm tall and weighs 100 pounds has an average body mass index of 39 kg/m2. With tube gastric surgery, it is aimed to give an average of 35-40 kg.
Most of those who lose weight with gastric sleeves are actually patients who have dieted many times before, lost a serious amount of weight. But they have regained the weight much faster than they lost it. Because the body that has been living with obesity for a long time seriously reduces its metabolic rate in order to protect itself from weight loss.
In this case, it is quite natural that the patient cannot lose as much weight as he wants and cannot maintain the weight he has lost. As it can be seen, in fact, this is not a problem of willpower. The solution is to permanently change the natural structure of the digestive tract, and only obesity surgery can provide this to you.